Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year, everyone!

As one year changes to another, many people want to take this time to make changes in their own lives. I've seen friends swear off of things (chocolate, pizza, soda, etc.). I've also seen people resolve that they'll start something new, like working out or a new diet. Perhaps you've also made a commitment for the new year. Personally, I've committed to reading a book per month outside of school-assigned reading, and doing a little write-up that I'll post here.

"Why do we make resolutions year in and year out?"

I wanted to take some time to look at the heart behind all of these resolutions, not only my own. Though we can see and judge outward appearances, the truth of the matter lies in the heart. We might think that someone resolving to work out regularly is being vain, but perhaps they were confronted by their doctor about their lifestyle affecting their blood pressure. We can't know what's really going on inside.

Why do we make resolutions year in and year out? Why do we make the resolutions that we make? Do they help us to feel better about ourselves? Does the control we have over this one aspect of our lives make us feel better about the lack of control in the rest of our lives?

This year is actually unusual for me. I typically steer clear of New Year's resolutions. As a cynic, I tended to dismiss them as wishful thinking from weak people who needed some external influence in order to make some change in their lives. I realize now that it was my pride that led me to speak like that. Perhaps, I was the weak one, who refused to even consider the possibility of the need for change in my life. I'll leave that to you to decide.

Regardless, this year I decided to make a resolution, as I said, to read twelve books and write twelve reviews. Why read, and why read so much? First off, I don't feel like twelve books over the course of a year is that much. Even if the book is 300 pages, it rounds out to roughly 10 pages per day. Not exactly heavy reading, is it? And that's only if the book is 300 pages.

"But sometimes I feel like I get caught up in how I learn."

I enjoy learning. But sometimes I feel like I get caught up in how I learn. In my last blog, I wrote about blogs, which are a source that I use to learn quickly. However, there is only so much that I could learn through blogs and sources like that. I also know that absolutely anyone can write a blog. I'm evidence of that right now. Although books aren't necessarily fail proof sources of information, they tend to be a bit better edited and, perhaps, a bit more sophisticated. The thing is, they're also much longer. And a book represents much more of a commitment because you may have to buy the book, and you're at least committing to setting aside a large chunk of time to read the book, mull it over, and come to terms with any information that you may encounter.

On another note, you might find that there is something that stands in the face of what you currently hold as a standard of thought. What if something that you hold as true is challenged? Do you risk looking into the challenge more, potentially overthrowing something you believed to be true? Or do you risk completely ignoring the challenge, so that you may live comfortably? What if the challenge proves to be the truth?

"What if, at the end of my life, I find out that I was wrong, that I was misleading people my whole life?"

Some things you can afford to be wrong about, like the sailors who believed the earth was flat. Other things are of greater consequence. For instance, I bet my entire life's work on the fact Christianity is true. But what if, rather than embracing the challenges of others, I ignored all naysayers and chose instead to blindly believe? What if, at the end of my life, I find out that I was wrong, that I was misleading people my whole life? How would I feel? How would you feel?

So I choose to read. For learning, and, more importantly, for certainty.

What about you? Have you made a New Year's resolution?
Leave a comment below telling me what it is!

0 comments:

Post a Comment