Friday, January 6, 2012

Passions: Lust and Anger?

There's a verse in the Bible where an older man tells a younger man to "flee youthful passions." When I was growing up in church, I always assumed that he was talking about lust. I mean, I'm a young guy, and the most powerful "youthful passion" that I experience is, arguably, my attraction to girls. But recently, I was challenged in my thought on this.

We need to be careful not to be swept along by [our passions].

What if "youthful passions" doesn't just mean lust? What if it means what it says "youthful passions"? I have a pretty hot temper at times. What if that anger is a youthful passion? I tend to believe that what I think is right. What if that pride is a youthful passion? I know that anger and pride aren't really exclusive to young people, but then again, is lust?

I don't know if I'm right with this interpretation of the verse, but I think there's something to be argued for this point. As a young man, I know that I can get passionate about a lot of things. I'm not just talking about lusts, anger, and pride. I am passionate about working with junior high and high school students. I'm passionate about making my girlfriend happy. I'm passionate about learning. I'm passionate about getting out of debt.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think this is saying to abandon all passions that you have, if you're young. But I think it does mean that we need to be careful not to be swept along by them.


Your turn:
What do you think Paul means by "flee youthful passions"?
Are there some passions in your life that you need to check, to make sure you're not being swept along by them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment