Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Quitter Review

Title: Quitter: Closing the Gap between your Day Job & Your Dream Job

Author: Jon Acuff

Target Audience: People of all ages who are dissatisfied with their current day job and want to gain a little direction as they move to pursue their dream job.

How I found It: Jon Acuff is an author and speaker on Dave Ramsey's team. I heard about Quitter as I was listening to Ramsey's podcast.

Content - The Facts: Quitter might not be quite what you first think of when you imagine a book about pursuing your dream job. Acuff invites you into his own life, showing his own journey from day job to dream job, and providing humorous, anecdotal experiences. Instead of encouraging you to blindly leap after your dream job, Acuff begins providing a framework for you to work within, for everything from "falling in like" with your day job to avoiding "the dons" to defining success and more.

Content - My Impressions: At first, I wasn't sure what I would think about the book. I got it from a friend as an audiobook (Don't do it!), so I figured I'd listen to it. My own unique twist in my approach to this book is that I already have a fairly defined idea of what my dream job is, but I don't have a day job to support me as I pursue that dream. However, I really enjoyed this book. His humor isn't overt, but much more along the lines of *facepalm* "Did you really just say that? Sooo awkward..." sort of humor. It also might come across a little bit different in written form. The thing I enjoyed most, though, was that Acuff redefined the framework that many people operate within as they dream about their dream job. He encourages his reader/listener to consider the blessings in having a day job and look for parallels between day jobs and dream jobs. He also places a lot of value in having strong ties with your family.

The Bottom Line: This book may not be the first book I'd recommend for people who are considering quitting their job to pursue their dream job, but it's definitely in the top five. It's got a solid foundation, an easy to read manner, and a lot of key insights and principles that should be considered and implemented into anyone's transition between day job and dream job.

Favorite Quotes:
Even though I was listening to the audiobook, this quote really stood out to me, so I jumped back 30 seconds and wrote it down really quick. :)

"Who says work has to be fun all the time? But I bet we can make it fun some of the time!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment