Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Go-Getter Review

 
Title: The Go-Getter

Author: Peter B. Kyne

Target Audience: Really, I feel like this book is good for anyone. It's a narrative, published in 1921, but the style reads easily. 

How I Found It: I've always known about the term "go-getter", but I didn't realize it came from a book. Dave Ramsey, a Christian financial adviser, has five short books that he makes every one of his employees read within the first 90 days of working for him. The Go-Getter is one of those books.

Content - The Facts: As I said, this book is a narrative. It's a story about Cappy Ricks and Bill Peck. Cappy is the owner of a big company, and he needs to replace part of his upper management team. In order to see if Bill is the right man for the job, Cappy arranges a test.

Content - My Impressions: I loved this book. It was a really short read, which is always a bonus for a college student. In total, it's about 50 pages. I read the Kindle version, so I don't know exactly. It took me about 30 minutes to read, and I know it's something that I'm going to keep recommending and passing on to people. Rather than instructional, The Go-Getter is inspirational, showing the perseverance of one man for success at all costs - an attribute that I feel many of my generation have lost.

The Bottom Line: The book is free on Kindle, it's on Project Gutenburg (a great resource for free, old e-books), and a number of other places on the web, or you can buy a paper edition for under $8. It's such a short read that there really isn't any good excuse not to give this book a quick read. In fact, go read it right now! 

Favorite Quotes: "In the army, sir, the esprit de corps doesn't bubble up from the bottom. It filters down from the top. An organization is what its commanding officer is--neither better nor worse." ~ p. 51

"You told me what to do, but you did not insult my intelligence by telling me how to do it." ~ p.54

0 comments:

Post a Comment